Does ecobee Work With Google Home
Ecobee thermostats are motivating everybody to use their smart thermostat because of how well they’re developing. And everyday, smart thermostats are getting smarter and smarter.
In the end, this just makes the ecobee thermostats more intoxicating than ever.
Over the years, ecobee have been fantastic at keeping up technology; as a company, their devices are already compatible with:
And to make things even better, the new ecobee4 comes with Alexa built-in to the thermostat; Don’t worry, you can still use Google Home it just takes a little setting up. But more on that later.
So, the big question is, does their thermostat work with Google Home?
Does ecobee work with Google Home?
In short, the answer is yes. And it shouldn’t come as much of a surprise; we already knew ecobee like to stay on top.
So when thermostats like Nest and Honeywell announced compatibility with Google Home, it was only a matter of time before ecobee announced plans to integrate Google Assistant.
If you’re looking for Google activated Thermostats you can check this Nest Vs Honeywell review.
So, what does this integration mean for users?
In all honesty, all it means is users need to think a little bit less about what systems they want to use.
Years ago, you would have to make a carefully planned system to make sure all your devices were compatible.
Now, not so much, more and more companies are linking with popular companies like Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, which just makes things better for us.
Ecobee Devices That Can Be Controlled By Google Home
If you’re looking to purchase an ecobee device to go with your Google Home, or maybe you have an ecobee device but you’re wondering if it’s compatible, then you should check out this list.
As you can see you have a good selection to choose from if you’re looking for an ecobee thermostat with voice commands.
How To Setup ecobee With Google Home
Before we get started with the setup, there is something you have to do before you get started.
And that’s, make sure all your ecobee devices have a name, without an assigned name paring will fail. Naming your ecobee thermostat is easy.
First access the screen, tap Main Menu > Settings > Prefrences> Thermostat Name; once the name is set, you’re ready to go.
For the switch+, the actions are slightly different. Open the ecobee App, find your switch+ device, tap the Main Menu icon at the bottom left of the screen Tap Device Info > Device Name > change the name.
Now that’s out the way, we’re ready to get Google Home and ecobee setup. Just follow my little guide below:
- Download the Google Home App
- Once completed open the App
- Tap on the “Add” icon; this can be found at the top left-hand side of the screen
- Now the new screen has loaded, you should see the tab “Set Up Device” tap it to open it
- You should now be faced with two option tap the “Works With Google” tab
- At the top right of the screen, you should now see a magnifying glass, tap the button and type ecobee
- You should then see the ecobee icon pop up, tap it
- You’ll be asked to enter your ecobee account details, enter the details link both accounts together
- And finally, accept the changes and you’re ready to go
That wasn’t too hard, right?;
If you followed the guide, you shouldn’t have had a problem, but this isn’t always the case. Some people experience issues with the connection. As you can see in this article all they had to do was reset their Google Home device and unlink the Google Assistant account.
So, by now you should be all connected and ready to use your Google Home system with your ecobee thermostat, but what if you don’t have a Home Hub? Can you still use Google Assistant?
How To Setup ecobee With Google Assistant (No Home Hub Required)
It’s a similar process but uses different apps, so let me talk you through it quickly:
- Download and open the Google Assistant App
- Tap the “Explore” icon, it looks slightly like a compass and can be found at the middle of the screen on the right-hand side
- Once the new page has enter “ecobee” in the search bar at the top of the screen
- Tap on the Icon
- Tap Setup
- Log in using your ecobee account
- Accept all changes
By following this procedure, you’ll be able to use Google voice commands on your mobile to take voice control of your ecobee devices. Some of you might be wondering what kind of command you can use.
Check them out:
What Google Assistant Commands Can I Use With ecobee
There’s a wealth of voice controls you can use with your smart thermostat. I won’t go into all of them; we’d be here a while.
Here’s some to get started:.
Ecobee Smart Thermostats
Ecobee Smart Thermostats
There you have everything you need to know about ecobee and google home. Before I leave you, there are a few things to remember, first make sure your devices have a name. Make sure you use the Google Home app to link the smart thermostat.
If you don’t have a Google Home hub, don’t worry too much, you can still use Google Assistant. If you have any questions about smart thermostats or Google Assistant, feel free to comment below and I’ll get back to you.
If you haven’t already got an ecobee thermostat, there’re are another two bigger players out there. Then make sure you check out my full review of Nest Vs Honeywell before making your purchase!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Apple HomeKit
- Samsung SmartThings
- Google Home
- And much more
- Best overall: Google Nest Thermostat – [Source: Amazon]
- Best value: Sensi Lite – [Source: Sensi]
- Premium pick: Google Nest Learning – [Source: Google]
- Ecobee Premium – [Source: Ecobee]
- Thorough programming options: Honeywell Home RTH9600 – [Source: Amazon]