Does Arlo Work With Google Home
Arlo has always focused on simplicity while providing high-quality devices that are easy to install and use. Over the years, we’ve watched them grow and become capable of integrating with different smart devices.
Table of Contents
But Does Arlo Work With Google Home?
They may not have the biggest selection of home automation devices, but they do offer a number of third-party integrations. And yes, that does include Google Home.
By connecting your Arlo security cameras to Google Home, you gain the ability to control them without using your hands.
Which Arlo Products Work With Google Home?
Before we get into Setting everything up, it’s probably a good idea I show which Arlo devices are compatible with Google Home:
You might have noticed there are a few of there products missing from the list, like the Arlo Doorbell. Although it might not be compatible right now, I’m sure it won’t be long until it is.
How To Set Up Google Home With Arlo?
Connecting your Home hub to your Arlo cameras isn’t as complicated as you might think. And when you think about it, it’s no surprise, Arlo pride themselves on being an easy to use the device. So, how do you set it up?
- Start by downloading the Google Home App (If you haven’t already), once downloaded launch the app
- From the starting screen Tap the Home button, you’ll find it at the bottom left-hand corner of the screen
- From there tap the Set Up Device tab, you’ll then see two options
- Tap Have Something Already Set Up
- Find the Arlo Icon and tap it
- You’ll be asked to sign in to your Arlo Account; this links the two accounts together
- Google will then ask to control the cameras and sensors, tap allow for this to happen
- Google will then used the sync data to find the Arlo cameras you have attached to the account
- Tap the device you want to add the room once you’ve chosen the device tap add to a room
- Tap the room it belongs to
- Tap next and repeat steps 9-10 to add more cameras
It really isn’t too difficult, but it does take a little bit of time, especially if you have multiple cameras to connect.
Just make sure the cameras are all set and ready to go before connecting them to your Google Home Hub.
When you’re setting up your Arlo cameras, it’s important to rename the device; this is due to the names usually being nonsense.
If Google can’t read the title, it won’t be able to control the device. Luckily changing the names is just as easy. Just Follow These Steps: Open Arlo App >Tap the Menu Icon > Device Settings > Pencil Icon > New Name > Save
How To Connect Your Arlo Cameras To Your TV
This has to be one of my favorite things about connecting my security cameras to Google Home. And the whole process isn’t even that hard; it’s just knowing where to go. But I’m here to walk you through it.
The first thing I should note is, you will require a TV with Chromecast built-in or the Chromecast device for this to work. I’m going to presume that all your devices are set up, like your Arlo cameras and Google Home, are synced together; if not, then go back and finish off the steps above.
- Make sure Chromecast is set up on the same WiFi networks as Arlo and Google Home
- Open Google Home App
- Find the Settings Button
- Find “Google Assistant services” by scrolling down
- Tap More Settings > Devices > Add
- Click on the devices you would like to add; you can select multiple devices
- Finish by tapping Add
As I said, it isn’t hard to set up; it’s just knowing where to go.
As always there are a few things I’d like you to take away, to start with, make sure you’re picking a compatible Arlo camera, it simply won’t work otherwise.
When you’re setting everything up, don’t forget to change the name of your Arlo security cameras. If you can’t pronounce the word, there’s a good chance Google Assistant can’t either.
And lastly, follow the steps I’ve laid out for you, and you’ll be fine.
If you have any questions or think I’ve missed something out, then don’t forget to comment below and I’ll get back to you.
While we’re talking about Arlo cameras why not find out who wins in my Arlo vs Nest review?
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, most of Arlos products are compatible with Google home to check out the full list of compatible devices by scrolling up. By adding a Google Home device to Arlo, you can access hands-free controls.
Yes, this can be achieved in a few ways by using devices like Apple TV and Google Home, you can stream the live video on to your TV.
Arlo is compatible with several third-party devices, some of which include:
- Phillips Hue
- And more
Arlo is always looking to team up with other smart devices, so this list is sure to get bigger as time goes on.